There are certainly thousands of great doctors on Twitter. I had previously created a blog on doctors to follow on Twitter (click Here to read it) and I wanted to expand upon that list.
Below is a list of 10 Fantastic Physicians to Follow on Twitter. They range from Deans of Medical Schools in Utah and Texas to a PCP in New Jersey with over 28,000 followers. All great physicians on social media. Here is the list in no particular order:
- @vivianleemd – Vivian Lee – 2,748 Followers – Dr. Lee is the Dean of the University of Utah School of Medicine who has literally revolutionized the way her health system is run by implementing a system of cost accounting so that their hospital actually knows what each of their medical services COSTS. As a result, they have lowered costs dramatically. Click HERE to read a blog on this amazing feat.
- @Bob_Wachter – Bob Wachter – 10.2K Followers – Any list of top physicians on Twitter must include Dr. Wachter. UCSF head hospitalist who actually coined the term ‘hospitalist.’ He is on the Board of the American Board of Internal Medicine. He is also an author, speaker, researcher and blogger. I have personally met him and he has many great things to Tweet.
- @SherryWren – Sherry Wren – 550 Followers – Dr. Wren is a general surgeon at Stanford in California. Great combination of clinically-related tweets and inspirational/thought provoking tweets.
- @HeartOTXHeartMD – John P Erwin III – 4,140 Followers – Want to know what the in-the-trenches issues are for a cardiologist who is devoted to healthcare quality and safety? Then Dr. Erwin is your MAN. Prolific tweeter always with great things to say and share.
- @KarenSibertMD – Karen Sibert – 5,099 Followers – Dr. Sibert is an anesthesiologist in Los Angeles. Great perspective as I do not have too many anesthesiologists that I follow on twitter. Also a great blogger/writer on http://apennedpoint.com
- @DrIanWeissman – Ian Weissman – 2,373 Followers – Dr. Weissman is a radiologist from Milwaukee who is dedicated to healthcare innovation and value (not just volume) in healthcare. This is particularly important in radiology as the field is undergoing a transformation with its Radiology 3.0 movement. Dr. Weissman will keep you current.
- @EricTopol – Eric Topol – 72.8K Followers – I wrote in my last Twitter list blog that Atul Gawande is the Taylor Swift of physicians on Twitter. Well, Eric Topol is the Katy Perry of doctors on Twitter (as in he as A LOT of followers). World-renowned cardiologist and digital health/mobile health enthusiast, he is a great source of information about innovation in healthcare. As a aside, he was a cardiologist at Johns Hopkins where I trained and I was fortunate to train under some of the same doctors that trained him. Neat people all around.
- @mithrao – Mitesh Rao – 932 Followers – Dr. Rao is the Stanford Health System Patient Safety Officer. He is in the perfect setting to be at the intersection of innovation (Silicon Valley) and healthcare. His twitter feed is very forward thinking. So if you are stuck in a rut, his tweets are the place to go.
- @DrLindaMD – Linda Girgis – 28.8K Followers – Dr. Girgis is a family practice physician in New Jersey and provides excellent commentary regarding on-the-frontlines primary care. Her pragmatic observations are important for anyone wanting to understand healthcare in America.
- @ClayDellMed – Clay Johnston – 637 Followers – Dr. Johnston has one of the most unique jobs for a physician… He is the Dean of the UT Dell Medical School in Austin. Keep in mind, this medical school is brand new. Medical schools don’t just pop-up all the time. He has an amazing opportunity to build a medical school from scratch. It will be quite a challenge, but also an amazing opportunity. His tweets in the process are worth reading.
I’ve found that following a diverse group of doctors on Twitter gives me a great cross-section of what is happening in medical practice and healthcare. These doctors have certainly added to my knowledge-base and I know they will add to yours.
To learn how Compass connects the employees at 2,000+ employers with great physicians across the country, visit compassphs.com