For Employee Benefits Professionals, who are those physician experts and researchers on the healthcare industry, healthcare financing, and healthcare policy?
Below is a list of our @CompassPHS 20 Top Physician Healthcare Industry Experts to follow on Twitter:
(In no particular order)
- @nxtstop1 – Bernadette Keefe, MD – 13K Followers – Dr. Keefe is a prolific tweeter (over 159K tweets) and a wealth of knowledge in the ‘Twittersphere.’ She is well connected and her content is great. A fantastic addition to your twitter feed.
- @RichDuszak – Rich Duszak, MD – 13K Followers – Dr. Duszak is a radiologist and physician leader at Emory University in Atlanta. Fantastic blogger and advocate for quality and rationality in medical imaging. As he puts it, ‘Striving to put the care back in healthcare—by redefining value.’ Well said (or tweeted).
- @drmikesevilla – Mike Sevilla, MD – 21.6K Followers – Dr. Sevilla is a Family Practice Physician and healthcare social media expert. He is a great proponent of primary care and we can all learn so much from him.
- @HealthcareWen – Wen Dombrowski, MD – 25.7K Followers – Dr. Wen is the Medical Director for Complex Care Management at North Shore-LIJ Health System (one of the largest health systems in the country). She is a healthcare technology and social media savant.
- @GarryChoy – Garry Choy, MD MBA – 14.3K Followers – Dr. Choi is a Harvard Radiologist who is focused on quality improvement through technology. Great tweets and insight.
- @DrLeanaWen – Leana Wen, MD – 9,955 Followers – Coming from someone who use to live and work in Baltimore, Dr. Wen has one of the toughest jobs in healthcare—She is the Baltimore City Health Commissioner. We wish her and the people of Baltimore all the best.
- @Atul_Gawande – Atul Gawande, MD MPH – 139K followers – With this many followers, Dr. Gawande is the ‘Taylor Swift’ of healthcare services researchers on Twitter (i.e. lots of followers). One of the most famous physicians in America and excellent writer.
- @draashishkshah – Aashish Kiran Shah, MD – 287 Followers – Dr. Shah is the Chief Clinical Director of CareFirst BlueCross, the BCBS plan for the Washington DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia area. He and CareFirst have developed a very innovative primary care / patient-centered medical home program for their members.
- @LessIsMoreMed – Dr. Jessica Otte – 2,307 follower – Dr. Otte is a Canadian physician with a keen eye for evidence and rationality in healthcare.
- @neel_shah – Neel Shah, MD – 7,409 Followers – Harvard OB/Gyn who is the founder of @CostsofCare a non-profit devoted to lowering the cost of healthcare. This young physician does great work!
- @ashishkjah – Ashish Jah, MD – 8,404 Followers – Dr. Jah is a Harvard physician and health services researcher. Very famous in his field. I have reported on his work previously in our @CompassPHS Healthcare Consumerism Blog.
- @LoggheMD – Heather Logghe – 3,178 Followers – Dr. Logghe is a resident surgeon with a great blog called AlliesforHealth and has promoted the #ILookLikeASurgeon movement on twitter to promote diversity in surgery and humanize the profession.
- @ChrisMoriates – Christopher Moriates, MD – 1,303 Followers – Dr. Moriates is a physician at UCSF – one of the top hospitals in the country – and is part of an organization called Costs of Care (@CostsofCare), which is a non-profit organization with over 20K followers working to Lower Healthcare Costs.
- @peterubel – Peter Ubel, MD – 4,261 Followers – Dr. Ubel is a health services researcher at Duke University and is a professor at their Business School. He is an expert in behavior and medical decision making.
- @ScottGottliebMD – Scott Gottlieb, MD – 32.2K Followers – Dr. Gottlieb is a former high ranking FDA and CMS official, writes a blog for Forbes and is a Fellow at the American Enterprise Institute think tank.
- @sacjai – Sachin H. Jain, MD – 3,585 Followers – Dr. Jain is a physician-entrepreneur (sometimes referred to as ‘doctorpreneur’) with a stellar background in academics and the pharmaceutical industry.
- @drnic1 – Nick van Terheyden, MD – 5,678 Followers – Dr. Nick is originally a British doctor who is now the Chief Medical Officer for Dell. He was involved in the creation of one of the first electronic medical records systems.
- @kennylinafp – Kenny Lin, MD MPH – 7,812 Followers – Dr. Lin is a Family Practice doctor and editor of the prestigious American Family Physician journal. Want to know more about Primary Care? Dr. Lin is your Man!
- @wareFLO – Charles Webster, MD – 6,422 Followers – Dr. Webster is an expert in business process as it relates to healthcare. Dr. Webster knows that technology/EHRs/EMRs alone will not fix healthcare—Doctors and Hospitals need redesigned processes as well.
- @aaronecarroll – Aaron Carroll, MD MS – 19.4K Followers – Dr. Carroll is a pediatrician and health services researcher and host of the popular and outstanding Healthcare Triage YouTube Channel.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this list. There are many other great physicians on Twitter and I will include them in future posts. This list is just a start.
To learn more about the Compass Health Activation Platform that 2,000+ employers (including Southwest Airlines and Chili’s Restaurants) use to improve healthcare and lower costs for their employees, visit compassphs.com