This past week, Compass completed its one millionth health navigation solution for its members. Click To TweetOur Moonshot – Impacting One Million Lives
Crossing this milestone took me back to the start, when Scott Schoenvogel, Cliff Sentell and I were writing the original Compass business plan. Everyone who starts a company is optimistic. Most are unrealistic. But every founding story has a moonshot. If you had asked the three of us, in that moment sitting around a small dining room table where we dreamed about the future of healthcare, “What is your moonshot?” we would have said we wanted to make a real impact in healthcare. And to put a number on it, our moonshot was impacting one million lives.
Health Navigation By the Numbers
It is humbling to celebrate achieving our milestone of one million health navigation solutions. Over the past 11 years, our Compass Health Pro team has championed simpler, smarter healthcare in the following ways:
- Provided 358,000+ personalized physician recommendations and/or second opinions
- Helped members understand and navigate their health benefits 230,000+ times
- Helped members with 150,000+ price-transparency comparative cost estimates for doctor office visits, tests and procedures
- Helped review and resolve problem medical bills 120,000+ times, saving our members more than $41 million
- Identified $63 million in money-saving opportunities for members and clients from prescription reviews
- Provided other concierge services, like coordinating care or scheduling appointments, 85,000+ times
- Saved clients $375 million in avoidable cost savings and $83 million in lost worker productivity
Making a Difference for Employees
Compass has had many amazing wins for our members across those one million solutions:
- A bill audit and negotiation that resulted in a woman’s hospital bill of over $120,000 being written-off—literally saving her from personal bankruptcy
- Steering a member who needed a prostate surgery from a hospital that cost $78,000 to another 5 miles away that cost $25,000—while keeping the same urologist
- Finding the single, strongest MRI in the U.S. for a member whose doctor requested a very rare and detailed scan. That member had to get on a plane and fly for their test
- Locating a neurologist with specialized expertise in multiple sclerosis so that a member in a small town could switch from a local doctor who was not a subspecialist. That member had to travel 90 minutes every several months, but was put on more aggressive therapy, which improved her symptoms
- Finding a new oncologist in Florida for a woman who was in the middle of chemotherapy treatment and had to move from Atlanta. We transferred her medical records from the Atlanta physician to the new doctor and ensured that the two physicians personally spoke to one another so that the member’s care would be seamless
Making a Difference for Employers
As we’ve approached our one millionth solution, it’s been humbling to hear what our clients have to say about the impact we’re having:
“It has been a joy working with Compass. We never get a negative comment and enjoy hearing all the compliments from our employees—telling us how much money they have saved by using Compass. Compass has worked with us during Annual Enrollment to explain the various programs to our employees and allow them to test drive the product. Once employees use the service, they are a customer for life! Congrats to Compass for their one millionth solution.” Judy Berger, Southwest Airlines’ Sr. Manager Benefits Planning
“Since last year’s launch of the Compass Health Pro offering at T-Mobile, thousands of our employees have utilized the services of a Health Pro. We’ve received mountains of praise and kudos from our employees and from T-Mobile human resource colleagues regarding Compass Health Pro solutions. We’ve found the Health Pros to be highly skilled and able to consistently provide high quality, high touch service. Our employees using this service love it! We also received this unsolicited feedback from a key internal strategic partner regarding Compass: ‘Seriously, you are surrounded by outstanding talent in your organization. What an honor it is for T-Mobile to share with its employees what will no doubt be one of the best benefits we have ever given them.’” Mike Ralph, T-Mobile’s Senior Benefits Program Manager
“We spent more than a year exploring different solutions for engaging employees and their dependents in their own health. Compass’ unique approach to solving consumer problems and driving better decision-making was the most impressive.” Apoorva Shah, Associate Principal, Corporate Strategy and New Product Development, The Advisory Board
At Compass, it’s our privilege to help our members and clients with their healthcare navigation.
Thank you to all of our members, the HR and benefits leaders at our clients, the insurance brokers and benefits consultants, the insurance carriers and TPA representatives, the PBM associates and the doctors’ office and hospital staffs, nurses and physicians. Without you and your commitment to change, your pursuit of purposeful excellence and the passion you exhibit for making a difference in healthcare, this one millionth solution milestone would not have been possible.
We all have been a part of this journey together to alleviate suffering and to bring simpler, smarter care to an overly complex and costly healthcare system.
Here’s to the next one million solutions!
- Video: One Million Reasons to Celebrate – check out what happened behind the scenes when we hit ONE MILLION SOLUTIONS.
- Member Story: Celebrating One Million Health Navigation Solutions: A Friendly Voice in a Time of Need
- Member Story: Celebrating One Million Health Navigation Solutions: Providing One Family 108 Solutions in Four Years
- Member Story: Celebrating One Million Health Navigation Solutions: Helping Save Lives, One MRI at a Time
To learn more about how Compass puts our members first, check out our video, “What is a Health Pro?”